Saturday 14 December 2019

When Terry met Mary

Last night was a special night for my running club Ward Park Runners. We had an evening with Dame Mary Peters and Mike Bull. I can't lie, except for the OH knowing who he was, and telling me so, I'd never heard of Mike Bull, but I now know he's a thoroughly lovely bloke and was a training partner of Mary Peters, and a successful athlete in his own right, a pole vaulter. It's fuuny, OH says he'd pay good money to see me attempt the pole vault. That man's got no respect for me :-)

They spoke together about their days as training partners and what it was like to be an elite athlete. It was warm and funny, inspirational and such a wonderful thing for our club. It really came across as if they both enjoyed themselves and I hope they did. 

Dame Mary had a book for sale, to aid her foundation which helps young people in sport, so loads of us bought a copy and got it signed. I asked if it woud be bad form to ask for "Get your arse in gear " and she only went and wrote it!
I genuinely think it will help me to get back on the horse. Lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment